'Septimus Heap - Magyk' - chapter 37 - end

• There are only 100 pages to be read now and the book became the more exciting the more I read ist.
    The idea of the FROZEN Hunter who´s still able to see and so on made my goosepimples even bigger :grin and these Shield Bugs aren´t the things I want to get to know.
    Boy 412 now becomes a bit more confidential and everyone is glad about this change, me included.
    I´m still wondering why Simon fell in love with THIS girl because I think that the Heap´s are a very nice family and the parents really understand their children - so I´m very excited on which side Simon really is

• I´ve finished the book right now - my mother-in-law spent the weekend with us and I had no time to read - and I really loved the last part "What happened to..." which is a very good idea of the author and I would be very pleased if many authors would do this :-]

The Dragon Boat impressed me very much!

I liked "Magyk" but it was no "Yahooooo" to me, the story is very nice but sometimes the story´s a bit boring. The persons are well described also the landscape so my imagination of this all was very good.
    Not so good to me was the fact of the many books Angie Sage tried to put in "Magyk" but I really understand she wanted to have nearly same success J.K.Rowling has.

The second part is still in the SUB and I think that it will stay there for some time but I´m excited how this story will go on.

Thank you all for this nice book discussion which was much fun to me,

bibi

• I`ve also just finished the book and must admit that I like it and enjoyed it very much and I am going to recommend it to my pupils.

Even though it is much alike to Rowlings Harry Potter and other Fantasy novels, I think Angie Sage has included a good deal of other ideas and a different way of introducing the characters that pleases me as well.

I`m looking forward to the rest books of the series - a lot of six more are pronounced - and expect them to be as good as the first one.

I also enjoyed our first reading circle here in English and I am looking forward for a few more to come :-)

:wave
    Ikarus

• Zitat

Original von bibihexe76
    I liked "Magyk" but it was no "Yahooooo" to me, the story is very nice but sometimes the story´s a bit boring. The persons are well described also the landscape so my imagination of this all was very good.
    Not so good to me was the fact of the many books Angie Sage tried to put in "Magyk" but I really understand she wanted to have nearly same success J.K.Rowling has.

I agree with you about 90 % ;-). For me the story was not a bit boring at places, I enjoyed the fact that the plot was developping in such a quiet pace ;-) So much for the 10% I don't agree with you ;-)

I also think that Mrs Sage tried to put too much in the book: other books and magic (HP above all) but also politics and views about people.

• Zitat

Original von Ikarus
    I`m looking forward to the rest books of the series - a lot of six more are pronounced - and expect them to be as good as the first one.

Me too, but I'm not decided yet whether I should read it immediately or whether I should wait for maybe another book discussion round ;-)

• Is there a glimmering of hope that the apprentice is not Septimus? Seems so...
    The Scene in the Young Army Nursery let me hope that the boys are switched... The child of the midwife goes to DomDaniel and Septimus stayed at the young army.... I really hope it was like this.

I go back at bed ....reading.... 90 pages left. :-]

Ähm... a discussionround aboute Flyte? Put me on the memberlist, please. :lache

• I finally made it!!! It was very slow going for me and I had to start reading diagonally just to get through. The pace picked up with the last 100 pages and I enjoyed those. And the epilog is a great idea, too. My daughter always likes those.

But that's not enough to make me give this book a very positive review. I just couldn't get beyond the similarities to Harry Potter and that got on my nerves. And just way too slow moving.

I think the book would have been better if tightened up and shortened by a good bit. In particular if this book is supposed to be geared towards younger kids than the average Harry Potter crowd.

I hope I can convince my 10 year old daughter to read it and see what she thinks. Although ... she wants me to give her another book like Memoirs of a Geisha :wow

Gruss aus Calgary, Canada
    Beatrix

"Well behaved women rarely make history" -- Laura Thatcher Ulrich